Thursday 5 April 2012

Infinity - Starting A New Game

Hello All

Today I thought I would start to talk about my plans for the next few months starting with Infinity. I have been looking at Infinity now for about a year or so. I just love the models, but for a couple of reasons I have never taken the plunge and started the game. The reasons? Well no one to play against was the first one! That has changed now as one of my friends has started playing. The second was I was a bit nervous about painting the models, I mean the models are so detailed and the paint jobs on the site are just about the best you'll ever see! So after a bit of research I have found a faction I think I can paint and hopefully to a high standard.

So Why Infinity?

Well apart from the great models the game seems to ticket all the boxes in what I'm currently looking for in a new game.
1) The Cost:- The rule book is free as is the expansion (you can buy the rule book and I will end up getting it but to start with a free PDF is a great thing!) a starter set and a couple of extra Blisters to get you to 200pts (the lowest "normal" size game) will set you back around £50 (less if you can find a discounted stockiest). Also the company provides a free army builder which I can tell you made getting into the game alot easier!
2) Army Size:- You only need a hand full of models! I like this as it's cut down on painting time as I can concentrate on each model to try and get the most out of the wounderful sculpts. Also I'm not looking for a mass battle game. I have FOW and to a less degree Dystopian Wars and Firestorm Armada so I'm looking for something a bit different to complement my gaming collection.
3) The X Factor:- You know what I mean, when you either see a game being played or so the models and you just know this game is for you. I had the same feeling when I saw FOW being played for the first time (the rules just made sense coming from a 40K) . Infinity gave me the same feeling when I saw the models and the art work.
All the above are also the reason I have been looking at MERCS and Malifaux, but more on them later.


So what am I planning to do? 

Well as I have never played the game so I'm not going to drive in too deep to start with, having said that (and bearing in mind I am a wargamer so buying models I never use is in my DNA) I will be getting a 200pts force off the bat (but thats only 9 models, surely that can't go wrong...). I'm also using this as an excuse to buy a desert board that will double up for Infinity and FOW. I have already ordered a mat from Hotz Artwork and have a few bits of the Gale Force 9 Desert terrian on order from Triple Helix and I'm hoping to get a few things from Micro Art Studios to add some Sci-Fi terrian to the mix.


So my Starting force is

GROUP 1 (Regs: 9/Irrs: 0):

3x GHULAM Rifle + Light Shotgun / Pistol, Knife (13)

GHULAM Sniper Rifle / Pistol, Knife (18 | 0.5)


 JANISSARY Lieutenant AP Rifle + Light Shotgun / Pistol, CCW (45 | 1)

 ASAWIRA Spitfire, Nanopulser / Pistol, Shock CCW (59 | 2)

3x NAFFATÛN Rifle + Heavy Flamethrower / Pistol, Knife (12)

197 Points | SWC: 3.5

So wish me luck and as always thanks for reading.

Ben

4 comments:

  1. Great post - Infinity is a great system. I've been into it for about six months now and I really enjoy it.

    It's as complicated as you want it to be, and scales really well. Lots of mechanics that I haven't found in other game systems.

    Great background material too - the nations, ALEPH and Combine fluff are really entertaining. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So something else we can play as I've got a 200pt Combined Army force. I bought mine as a bunch of people at the club played but not managed a game yet. Have fun painting them up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Infinity got some really nice models.
    This is going to be good. Keep us updated...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love infinity, wish I had the opportunity to play it more often ( have 400 pts of Nomads atm ).
    Only downside is the amount of terrain you need. You will notice it very quickly in your first few games. But if you have tons from 40k then you should be fine.

    ReplyDelete